Here’s another example of how I work with images. I started by selecting a small area of the scene before me. Looking through the viewfinder of my Canon 7D mark II, I moved forward and back, side to side, and up and down, changing the visual relationship of the posts and what was included and excluded in the scene. After pressing the shutter, I checked the histogram on the rear of the camera, to make sure I had a full range of values, without losing highlight or shadow detail.
The next part of the process is downloading the image with Adobe Lightroom. I add key words so that I can easily search my collection in the future. Then the digital magic begins. I won’t go into all the steps, but according to the history window, there were 25. I did crop to different proportions, adjusted lighting, and cloned out a piece of concrete wall in the lower right corner.
Last week, I was at Priscilla Landing in Orleans, working with the early autumn colors along the shore of Nauset Harbor. My Canon 70D with a Canon 100-400 L series lens were on my tripod, my other camera on a neck strap. As I turned and raised the camera, I saw the tripod going over. Smack- right on a rock. Foul word or two. Checking the gear, I found the flash shoe on the camera punched down, and the zoom lens wouldn’t zoom.
I had already been thinking of upgrading this set-up, but the plan had been to sell the old gear to help defray the cost. Now it would be all out of pocket. I went ahead and ordered a Canon 7D Mark II with the new version of the 100-400. A day later the new gear arrived.
Now for the karma- in the next two days, I sold enough work to pay for the new gear, and I was back to zero…
This photo of an immature sharp-shinned hawk is from my first session with the new gear. Hand held and a heavy crop. I am very pleased with the performance.
When you shoot photographs in Raw format, which I nearly always do, the images show reduced contrast and saturation, and appear softer. I started by dealing with these issues using Lightroom but continued to work to make the image more like what I saw and felt at the time. After reaching the middle image, the history window in the program showed more than 60 entries. One thing still bothered me. I wanted more space on the left side of the picture between the boat and the edge. Over to Photoshop to use the content aware fill function, then back to Lightroom for a few more tweaks, and the final image on the left has me satisfied.